Thursday, December 8, 2011

Journal For Cabeza de Vaca

Jessie Akers-Bell
 12/8/11



Author Quote:"These people love their offspring more than any in the world and treat them very mildly,"(Norton 42).

Internet Quote:"Raised by his paternal grandfather, Pedro de Vera, one of the conquerors and governor of the Canary Islands, Cabeza de Vaca joined the Spanish army in 1511 and served in Italy, Spain, and Navarre,"(Encyclopedia of World Biography).



Summary: In the first quote de Vaca seems surprised about the level of love shown to everyone, even children, in the Natives community. Children back in Spain must not have been treated as well. The second quotes  talks a little about de Vaca's past. He was raised by a conqueror, which makes one think that his Grandfather was a strict military man. He followed is his grandfathers, and ancestors foot steps by joining the military.

My Ideas: I'm surprised at de Vaca's surprise about how well the Native children are treated. I know life in that time in Europe wasn't easy but the surprise in his writing suggests that it is. I guess I take the fact that most parents are good; sense I have such wonderful ones myself. I'm one of the lucky kids. Children, except for the aristocrats' kids, probably worked and worked for very little pay. His surprise at how well the Natives children are treated is so different from what de Vaca is used to. Though his grandfather was a governor of one of the Spanish territories. That means money and comfortable living, for that time. His surprise could also come from the fact that these people are supposedly savage, and to see them showing affection and treating kids well is the surprise. It could be his surprise at being shown that the Natives are not that savage.
Being raised by a military conqueror must have been interesting to say the least. Having grown up in his Grandfather's shadow helped to shape de Vaca. Also it probably was his Grandfather who got de Vaca into the military. I understand that since two of my uncles joined the U.S. military; one who joined but didn't fight, and the other was in the air force. My uncles also grew up in a military family because my Grandfather was a doctor for the army. So I understand, a little, of what it must have been like for deVaca to grow up in that situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment